Spring is popular time of the year to get some much-needing cleaning done in and out of the house. Here are some of my tips to keep your house properly maintained and ready for the warmer weather . . .
- Check the ground level around your house to make sure there is a distance of 6-8 inches between the dirt and the siding. Bugs and rot can get behind the siding if the dirt comes up too high.
- Make sure your gutters and drains have no leaves or debris to clog them up. This will prevent leaking drains when the spring rains are at their highest.
- Change your furnace filter if it's dirty.
- Check for gaps, holes, or missing soffet pieces at the roof overhangs to keep the animals away. I once had a customer whose cat was getting into the attic through a hole in the soffet.
- Check that the fresh air intake for the furnace and hot water tank is unblocked and clean. The intake has a small mesh cover and can usually be found in a direct line from the furnace. Use a small brush, like a toothbrush, to clean it.
- Turn your water shut-off valves off and then on again. This exercise keeps them from seizing up.
This little bit of maintenance should help your house function as it should. Enjoy your spring!